Monday, October 09, 2006

Thanksgiving in the Land of the Tartan Army

Thanksgiving in the land of the Tartan Army

Well, the last couple of weeks have been decidedly dull. We’ve really settled into the routine of going to University of going to placement. That routine has served us pretty well, but it has left me with very little to tell in terms of stories. However, were are still in Scotland and the stories still emerge…just sometimes with more planning.

This weekend is thanksgiving weekend. The Scots have no idea what we’re talking about, but all of us Canadians were keen to have a little piece of home. Kristy and I planned Thanksgiving and I convinced the other guys that it would be cool to host it. It sounded like a novel idea at first as we figured it would be a small event, but it soon grew into a big deal and something everyone was looking forward to. On Friday I was quiet. I wasn’t feeling super from having been in class all week and in placement, so I went to bed early and thank goodness. On Saturday morning Rob, Ed, Mark and I went off to a part of town called Partick where there was supposed to be an open air farmers market. Well, when we got there, no farmers market was to be found because it happens on the last weekend of the month and the second weekend of the month…not this one at all. That being said, we still went about the business of getting all the ingredients we needed to make Thanksgiving a success. It was a big deal since I was intent on cooking turkey, and Rob was keen on cooking sweet mashed potatoes, and Mark being keen on a roast. We found everything we needed and boy did we buy a lot. Check out the photos of the pile of food.










On Saturday night Scotland played France in European Cup qualifying. It was a huge game because Scotland had won it first two games against poor opposition, but France was a major test. However, on this windy Saturday in October, the Tartan Army came up victorious with a stunning 1-0 win and sent the entire city into a huge party. It was crazy. Within no time at all the streets were full of party goers celebrating the win. Poor Michael, who’s from France, it was a major blow. The rest of the night was planning how things would proceed on Sunday.

On Sunday I was up relatively early getting prepared for the whole day. I made all my stuffing and prepared my chickens. I ended up having to have 5 chickens to be sure that everyone was going to have enough because we were expecting up to 30 odd people. It was a big event. So, stuffing was made, and I prepared the chickens. Once they were all ready I needed a place to cook them. I put two in my oven because it was easiest and I had full claim to it. However, I had to find a home for the other 3 chickens in an oven upstairs in another flat because there was no room elsewhere. Eventually all the birds got cooked, everyone gathered around the table, grace was said, and dinner for 30 was served. It was a great evening. Check out some of the photos and see for yourself.

After the meal it was decided that what was needed was yet another Canadian tradition and that was to get a North American football out and play a little pig skin. Well, we went out in the rainy weather and played. Europe was laying a beating on Team Canada pretty good…until I accidentally steam rolled Brad’s girlfriend, Claire, and just about killed her. My shoulder connected with the poor girl’s chin and down she went. Luckily she just split her lip open, but it was decided that the game should end before team Canada put a further beating on any more Europeans. We called it a draw and went back inside.

We then spent the better part of the evening cleaning up all the mess that was made, but it was well worth it. Everyone shared in a great evening. Our Scottish friends all agreed that they could start to appreciate what the Thanksgiving idea was all about. All of us Canadians were just happy to have brought a little piece of home with us…even if it was just for the night.

So, that was Thanksgiving across the pond. I hope everyone back home in Canada had a safe and happy Thanksgiving. It would have been amazing to have been able to come home and see everyone, but we did the best we could. Take care and don’t be shy to tell me all about your various Thanksgiving stories…I’d love to hear all about them.

Anyway, that’s all from Scotland for now. Take care and stay posted for my next update.

Bruce

p.s. What is the deal with my Ottawa Senators? I am going through some serious NHL withdrawal and it pains me to hear that our boys have had a slow start to the year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home